[DWJ] Writing for the young (was Dumbledore vs. Snape)

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Mon May 14 19:29:45 EDT 2007

>Minnow wrote:
>
>> I may decide that this is not a book to be set down
>>lightly -- in the Dorothy Parker meaning of that phrase -- purely on
>>account of my being a member of the Society For The Prevention Of Cruelty
>>To The Semi-Colon.

and Robyn noted:

>The semi-colon abuse is my biggest beef with Rowling (well, it might be
>tied with my annoyance at the unbelievability that a child could be
>treated like Harry was by the Dursleys in this day and age and not be
>visited with flocks of social workers); it annoys me because every so
>often a sentence will pull me up with a screetch just because of the
>horridness of the punctuation.

Oh dear.  I was afraid someone would say that.  And I am committed to
reading them so that I can be informed in my judgement.  Eeep.  (This is
like feeling obliged to read several Barbara Cartlands in order to feel
justified in being very rude indeed about her work.  I wish I had not been
brought up to try to be fair.)

Mind you, I do sometimes find I am mentally re-writing sentences in
Hornblower as I read it, so perhaps I slightly overdo my stickling in this
field.

Minnow