[DWJ] Writing for the young (was Dumbledore vs. Snape)

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Mon May 14 19:14:39 EDT 2007

Minnow wrote:

> I may decide that this is not a book to be set down
>
>lightly -- in the Dorothy Parker meaning of that phrase -- purely on
>account of my being a member of the Society For The Prevention Of Cruelty
>To The Semi-Colon.

The semi-colon abuse is my biggest beef with Rowling (well, it might be
tied with my annoyance at the unbelievability that a child could be
treated like Harry was by the Dursleys in this day and age and not be
visited with flocks of social workers); it annoys me because every so
often a sentence will pull me up with a screetch just because of the
horridness of the punctuation.

robyn