[DWJ] Dumbledore vs. Snape (now WITH The Game spoilers)

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Mon May 14 12:15:17 EDT 2007

Mark:
>> > Now, how about _The Game_?  Could someone explain exactly who Flute
>> > and Fiddle are supposed to be?  I didn't get that part.
Minnow:
>> Not exactly any particular pair of people, which is why they were left
>> out of the explanation of exact characters at the end, seems to be the
>> short answer.  The long one is, Think of a pair of twins and they can
>> probably be thought to be in some way related, but have in mind also
>> Yan and Ying and other pairs of related opposites.  Contrary to what
>> one of them claims, they do *not* own the Golden Apples, because no
>> male does, so that's not part of their actual role.
Philip:
>Are you sure that no male owns the apples?  Remember when Hayley found
>Tla'a, sorry, Atlas with all the Hesperides assembled, and asked for an
>apple, she was told that they weren't allowed to give her one, since the
>apples belonged to the King.  In fact, the book left me wondering in
>what way the apples were "of" the Hesperides at all!

"The King" doesn't appear to exist, in fact, he's just a useful excuse
for not allowing anyone to have one of the apples.

I am going by what DWJ herself has said, which is that nobody ever seems
actually to have owned the Golden Apples, although they were made *for*
various female people or *by* one or another female person in different
versions of the story.

That's why they are such a tangled skein of stuff in the mythosphere, I
assume.

Minnow