[DWJ] Dumbledore vs. Snape (now WITH The Game spoilers)

Belben, Philip (Energy Wholesale) Philip.Belben at eon-uk.com
Mon May 14 11:51:57 EDT 2007

Minnow, replying to Mark:

> Does anybody want to put a side-bet on the notion that Rowling may
> have been playing a Really Complicated Game here, and that Dumbledore
> (Must Not think of him as Bumblebore until I have read these books and

LOL!

> established whether it's justified or not) is going to turn out to be
> Volteface^WVoldemorte's twin brother (see Garner, *The Weirdstone of
> Brisingamen*, Cadellin and Grimnir) and therefore very slightly
> ambivalent about his real wishes?  Or has she already used the dark
> twin/light twin idea?

Oh my goodness.  Themistocles and Boraas.  Ugh.

They're from "Maerchenmond" by W&H Hohlbein.  Wolfgang Hohlbein is
horribly popular in Germany, and also horribly prolific (although I've
only read Maerchenmond), so be thankful the books haven't been
translated...  Like HP, the book is great fun, and has plenty of charm,
but the world-building doesn't stand up to the sort of scrutiny that we
have so much fun in giving DWJ!

But seriously, your comment reminded me that Hohlbein got into a bit of
a tangle at the end with the motivations of the Good (Themistocles) and
Evil (Boraas) Kings, and did some very odd things with the dark and
light twins idea by way of disentanglement.  It didn't work.

> > Now, how about _The Game_?  Could someone explain exactly who Flute
> > and Fiddle are supposed to be?  I didn't get that part.
>
> Not exactly any particular pair of people, which is why they were left
> out of the explanation of exact characters at the end, seems to be the
> short answer.  The long one is, Think of a pair of twins and they can
> probably be thought to be in some way related, but have in mind also
> Yan and Ying and other pairs of related opposites.  Contrary to what
> one of them claims, they do *not* own the Golden Apples, because no
> male does, so that's not part of their actual role.

Are you sure that no male owns the apples?  Remember when Hayley found
Tla'a, sorry, Atlas with all the Hesperides assembled, and asked for an
apple, she was told that they weren't allowed to give her one, since the
apples belonged to the King.  In fact, the book left me wondering in
what way the apples were "of" the Hesperides at all!

As for Flute and Fiddle, I was among the people who thought they were
the Summer and Winter Kings.  I particularly liked the passing reference
to "The Old Soldier's Violin" as a Mythic Object, too.

Philip.
our prior permission is prohibited.

represent those of the E.ON Group.

Coventry, CV4 8LG.
Registered in England & Wales No. 2366970

Coventry, CV4 8LG
Registered in England & Wales No. 4178314

Telephone +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax +44 (0) 2476 42 5432