[DWJ] Dumbledore vs. Snape - was Heyer and Ghibli (now withOUTMononoke spoil

Katarina Hjärpe head_overheels at hotmail.com
Mon May 14 10:53:04 EDT 2007

>http://www.redhen-publications.com/Servants.html
>is "The Servant Problem", which puts forward a theory of what may really
>being going on with the House Elves.

This was very interesting - I'm still reading, but the part about Hobs in
the beginning rang a bell for me as almost identical to the Swedish
tradition of the tomte. He was most *definitely* not a slave, and there's a
chilling story by Selma Lagerlof in which a man gambles away his homestead
and the tomte makes a deal with him to get it back, but in return the man
has to gamble with the tomte the next day. He does, and gambles away his
life. The loyalty of the tomte is to the place, not to the people, though he
can get along just fine with them if they're to his liking.

>The impression that I go on getting, from every source, is that these
>books are a vast collection of everybody's nice ideas all thrown in
>together

This (and the stuff following it that I cut away for length) is *exactly*
right. JK Rowling is a magpie of the first order, which is why it bugs me to
no end when she claims she had no idea she was writing fantasy. She took the
idea of a traditional abused hero, and the idea of a traditional wise old
wizard, and if they don't fit together, so what?

JK's saving grace, as far as I'm concerned, is that the story has charm and
drive and is quite enjoyable as long as you don't look too hard at what's
going on. Also, while the fandom is largely insane, there are some *madly*
talented people spinning the tale to something very interesting.

Katta