[DWJ] Dumbledore vs. Snape

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Mon May 14 07:02:19 EDT 2007

In <805d8af40705140000v22f9f9ableb5717575401ca2a at mail.gmail.com>, Farah
Mendlesohn wrote:

>Just to support Ika, and  I read Book 6 very fast because I've become so
>bored.

and signed herself
"Farah (who utterly lost patience with book four and reads the rest as a
professional duty)"

I now forget which of the series it was that recently came third or so
in the list of books most often bought but not actually read to the end:
*Ulysses* was probably first, but one of the Harry Potter books was well
up at the top end of the top ten.  Possibly Book 4, whatever that's
called.  Somehow I wasn't astounded to hear it (on the News Quiz, I
think).

The impression that I go on getting, from every source, is that these
books are a vast collection of everybody's nice ideas all thrown in
together regardless of what effect they might have on the plot if they
were followed through on to a logical conclusion, or on each other if
they are all happening in the same place at the same time, set in a
world that has huge holes in the map and social structures, and
involving characters who always behave as somebody has to at that point
in order for the action to move forward regardless of whether or not
that character would behave in such a way on previous form, but always
with regard to the rule that the Hero will be Misunderstood and Badly
Treated, usually by at least one person he had thought of as a friend
(and will continue to think of as a friend regardless of how unpleasant
that person has been to him, and to trust no matter how much that person
has endangered his life).

I can't say they're very high on my "must read as soon as the last one
comes out" list.  They are all on the premises on account of Young
People, though, so at least I shan't have to buy them.

Minnow (who has still managed not to read them apart from four pages or
so that involved Mer People to the point at which one wanted to scream
"repetition, deviation, hesitation, repetition!")