[DWJ] Dumbledore vs. Snape - was Heyer and Ghibli (now withOUT Mononoke spoilers)

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon May 14 04:25:04 EDT 2007

On Mon, 14 May 2007, Ika Willis wrote:

> It's also struck me that you can't actually *have* a race of
> "natural slaves" unless you have a corresponding race of "natural
> masters". Voldemort (and his, what, eleven followers) is just a
> flashy distraction from all the things that are actually,
> structurally, deeply wrong with the wizarding world.

JOdel, who sometimes posts to this list, has a fascinating collection
of Potter-related essays on her web site, many of them reflecting on
things that are structurally, deeply wrong with the wizarding world.
There's even one, I think, on the fact that Voldemort and his, what,
eleven followers are just a flashy distraction, although I don't at
the moment recall which one it is.

http://www.redhen-publications.com/Servants.html
is "The Servant Problem", which puts forward a theory of what may
really being going on with the House Elves. It left me with a feeling
that somebody really had put a lot of thought into the situation, but
not entirely convinced that the someone in question was Rowling.

...I get that reaction from most of JOdel's essays, actually.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."