[DWJ] Re: Heyer and Ghibli

Kathleen Jennings kathleen.jennings at gmail.com
Mon May 14 03:48:24 EDT 2007

Speaking of matching up to the books (or not) has anyone else (other
than Aimee) seen Studio Ghibli's Tales from Earthsea?

I haven't worked out what I think about it. It comes in at the Tehanu
end of the books, and I've forgotten many of the details of the
stories. It certainly deviates wildly in many respects, and the most
animation-ready scene (the fan with people on one-side and dragons on
the other being held up to the light) was left out. But it was very
pretty.

One of the aspects of the Ghibli films which I enjoy most (apart from
nature spirits showing up, staring) are the details of everyday life -
Howl breaking the eggs in Howl's Moving Castle; Ged washing his plate
while talking in Earthsea, etc. They aren't part of the story, but
they make the world so much more real.

Kathleen.