[DWJ] Dumbledore vs. Snape - was Heyer and Ghibli (now withOUT Mononoke spoilers)

Farah Mendlesohn farah.sf at gmail.com
Mon May 14 03:00:33 EDT 2007

On 14/05/07, Ika Willis <blake at gaudaprime.co.uk> wrote:

> Me/Mark:
> > > *in the case of the HP books, 'moral ambiguity' seems to mean that
> > > Dumbledore consistently behaves very badly but looks like Gandalf,
> > > while Snape consistently behaves very well but wears black.
> >
> > I don't remember that at all!  Dumbledore is not consistent, but he is
> > consistently fair, while Snape is more (but not totally!) consistent,
> > but  he is consistently unfair.  And clearly, you haven't read Book 6!

Just to support Ika, and  I read Book 6 very fast because I've become so
bored.

Dumbledore needs to read Hexwood and  take sharp note of the fate of wizards
who use young children to fight their own battles.

As for Dumbledore being consistently fair: I have never forgiven Rowling for
Dumbledore's arbitrary presentation of 50 house points in book one to ensure
that Harry's house won the house cup.  He has also repeatedly covered up for
Harry when the rules said very specifically that Harry should have been in
deep shit.

> *I will admit that this might be because I hate Dumbledore with such a
> passion that I'm not entirely fair to him. But, dude, he keeps sending
> Harry back to an abusive family 'for his own good', and he runs his
> school on slave labour. Those are not things I can forgive, and I
> don't think looking like Gandalf balances them out.

Yep. The slavery issue. And no one willing to employ a "freed slave". And
Winkie crying in the corner because she didn't want to be free.

Can we all say "Tara" children?

Farah
(who utterly lost patience with book four and reads the rest as a
professional duty)