[DWJ] Dumbledore vs. Snape - was Heyer and Ghibli (now withOUT Mononoke spoilers)

Mark Allums mark at allums.com
Sun May 13 15:36:11 EDT 2007

Ika Willis wrote:
> *in the case of the HP books, 'moral ambiguity' seems to mean that
> Dumbledore consistently behaves very badly but looks like Gandalf,
> while Snape consistently behaves very well but wears black.

I don't remember that at all!  Dumbledore is not consistent, but he is
consistently fair, while Snape is more (but not totally!) consistent,
but  he is consistently unfair.  And clearly, you haven't read Book 6!
What might make it seem ambiguous to you might be that Dumbledore does
strange things, but one knows it nearly always means he has knowledge
others lack, even if he says otherwise.  Snape often acts strangely, and
it indicates his clear *lack* of knowledge.  I know there are many who
regard Dumbledore as a terrible person, but I am not one of them.  He is
not infallible, and the road to hell is paved with good intentions and
all that, but his motives are certainly good.  Who knows what Snape's
motives are?  Only J.K. Rowling knows.  Maybe we will find out in July.

--Mark A.