[DWJ] Pedantry Postal Course

Farah Mendlesohn farah.sf at gmail.com
Sat May 12 00:41:32 EDT 2007

On 11/05/07, minnow at belfry.org.uk <minnow at belfry.org.uk> wrote:

> >"The Masqueraders" was one of my early ones, and I loved it then and
> still
> >do.  What's not to love about a brother and sister pretending to be
> sister
> >and brother in Georgian high society? :-)  Though I always wondered why
> the
> >sister's admirer didn't wonder about his sexuality when he found himself
> >attracted to this "man"...
>
> Of the early ones The Masqueraders is one of the less unwieldy, and it
> does have what is regarded by a large number of people as the most
> purely romantic scene in all of Heyer.

I adored Masqeraders when I first read it. And I went back to it again and
again as I realised what a complex study of gender it managed to be. Later
it was a book I could give to someone I loved very much for whom it was
tremendously empowering simply because no one is *embarrassed* by the cross
dressing. The issues are always and clearly about social constraint.

Farah