[DWJ] Pratchett quote

Farah Mendlesohn farah.sf at gmail.com
Tue May 8 01:19:50 EDT 2007

There's also a small  bit on p. 99 of the hard back.

It's in the scene immediately after Diamanda runs up to the stones to "show
them".

"we're stupid, and the memory plays tricks, and we remember the elves for
their beauty and the way they move, and forget what they *were*. We're like
mice saying, 'Say what you like, cats have got real *style*." (99)

The chant, "Elves are wonderful. They provoke wonder." is on p. 122 of the
hb. Just after the scene in which Nanny is handing Diamanda over to Magrat
for care.

On 08/05/07, Robyn Starkey <rohina at shaw.ca> wrote:

> Thanks Otter.
>
> Anything else anyone could find would be AWESOME. I'm trying to write an
> essay on lolcats.
>
> robyn
>
> Otter Perry wrote:
>
> > I think the observation is made more than once, by more
> > than one person.
> >
> > Here's Magrat:
> >
> > [Shawn] kept repeating, 'They just laughed and stabbed her.
> > She didn't even try to run away.  It was like they were _playing_."
> >
> > For some reason Magrat shot a glance at Greebo, who had the
> > decency to look embarrassed.
> >
> > 'Pointy ears and hair you want to stroke,' she said,
> > vaguely.  'And they can fascinate you.  And when they're happy
> > they make a pleasing noise.'
> >
> > p. 203  Victor Gollancz.  London:  1998
> > ISBN 0 575 06578 8
> >
> > I'll browse around and see if I can find any others.
> >
> > On May 7, 2007, at 4:57 PM, Robyn Starkey wrote:
> >
> >> Dear List
> >>
> >> I really need a Terry Pratchett quote from Lords and Ladies, the bit
> >> where he is talking about the nature of elves, and how cats are
> >> similar. He's said a number of things that are quite same-y, along
> >> the  lines of cats get away with being evil because they look nice,
> >> and  lull us into a false sense of security. I don't have that book
> >> to  hand, so I would really appreciate it if someone who did could
> >> help me  out.
> >>
> >> robyn

> > It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have
> > those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of
> > speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence to
> > practice neither.
> >

> >  -Mark Twain

One day I want time to be bored.