[DWJ] OT: children's book id?

Judith Ridge Judith.Ridge at det.nsw.edu.au
Mon May 7 20:01:59 EDT 2007

There were actually 3 Faraway Tree books:

The Enchanted Wood
The Magic Faraway Tree
The Folk of the Faraway Tree

I think that's the correct order.

As I understand it the new editions have been bowldlerised: Fanny  and
Dick's names have been changed and Dame Slap's name too‹and  she doesn't
slap the children any more. Where's the fun in that?

Judith, who dreamed of finding her own Faraway Tree (and Wishing Chair), but
who knows someone who was absolutely terrified as a child of dear old
Moonface.

On 8/5/07 9:51 AM, "Robyn Starkey" <rohina at shaw.ca> wrote:

> I bought the Enchanted Wood for my daughter from amazon, and the
> illustrations in the new paperback are just awful - badly drawn
> scribbles, and no real relationship to the text.
>
> robyn
>
> Charles Butler wrote:
>
>> Yes, this is the classic case of Fanny and Dick being updated to
>> Frannie and
>> Rick - for some inexplicable reason...
>>
>> Charlie

Judith Ridge