[DWJ] OT: children's book id?

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Mon May 7 09:21:16 EDT 2007

Hello, brain trust,

Somebody on LibraryThing asked if I could identify a book, but
the description doesn't ring a bell for me. Does it for any of
you?

"It is about two or three children that go for a visit to a
country house of a relative. In the back of the garden or grounds
is a gate. I don't think they are supposed to go through it
because it leads to the woods. They break the rule and sneak out
one day. When they enter the woods they find a very big tree.
Something attracts their attention up the tree and one of them
decides to start climbing up. I don't know if it is a call for
help or just a noise. The climber looks into the tree and see
something or meets an animal that lives in the tree. He/ she
calls down for the other/s to climb up and see. That is how the
adventure begins. They always climb down before then end of the
day and make it back to the house/cottage. The next day they
climb higher and on and on. This was read to me in first or
second grade. The adventures always happen up in the tree. That
is all I can remember. Thanks for the help."

The only thing it sounds like to me is one of the Green Knowe
books, but I'm sure that's not it.

-deborah
--
Hither then, swiftly, for I'm cold, I'm cold.
 		-- _The Folk of the Air_