[DWJ] Why I love Dark Lord (was: re: new book)

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Sun May 6 19:55:03 EDT 2007

>On May 6, 2007, at 1:28 PM, Elizabeth G. Holtrop wrote:
>
>> *For instance, two of my other all-time favorite novels are Gaudy
>> Night by Dorothy L. Sayers and Sunshine by Robin McKinley.  In the
>> first, I know I'm very drawn to the exploration of academia as a
>> cloister vs. living in the "real world."  In the second, I like the
>> themes of accepting one's destiny and coming into special powers.

Otter remarked:

>I have somewhat the same relationship with Sunshine.  It's a book I
>read rather frequently for me [for any book other than those by Terry
>Pratchett, which I'm almost always reading one or another of] and I
>don't know why.

On previous form for a couple of decades, I would re-read *Gaudy Night*
about once a year if some little scrote hadn't absconded with my (hardback,
a murrain upon whoever it is! may their gaskets all get mildew) copy.  I
keep meaning to get another but not remembering that I want it when I am in
bookshops, and then *needing* to read it at Bank Holidays or in the
evening.  I wish nobody had reminded me, it's a Bank Holiday tomorrow.

<sulk>

Minnow