[DWJ] Re: Another question for the brain trust

Mark Allums mark at allums.com
Thu May 3 21:10:04 EDT 2007

Hendon, Alison wrote:
> I have a number of friends who buy at thrift shops and library booksales
> and then sell on ebay.  They tell me that there are lots of people out
> there with the barcode scanners, cherrypicking the books (i.e., buying
> only the ones that show a good return on investment.)  I don't know what
> database they're hooking into (maybe abebooks?) however.

A *lot* of those books go on to be listed on Amazon's used book network.
  They charge one cent plus 6 dollars shipping and handling. (It takes
less that two dollars to mail most books.)

There exist wholesalers' networks.  Now with computers, and internet,
they can keep the prices current.  It used to be that they would release
a new price guide quarterly.  Computers make it too easy for those guys
to operate.  No wonder the used bookstores are not as much fun as they
used to be!

--MArk Allums