[DWJ] Re: Another question for the brain trust

Thu May 3 15:05:51 EDT 2007

>Melissa Proffitt wrote:
>> So I was in the thrift store buying books for my friend's library and
I saw,
>> again, a couple of boys (fine, yes, they were early twenties, I'm
just old)
>> with a bitty hand-held scanner going over the ISBN bar codes.  This
is not
>> the first time I've seen this, and I asked one of the kids before
(they've
>> all been early-twenties males, what's up with that) what he was
doing.  He
>> said that he was a "book collector" and he was determining which
books were
>> worth buying.  The scan returns some minimal data on resale price or
>> something.
<snip>
I have a number of friends who buy at thrift shops and library booksales
and then sell on ebay.  They tell me that there are lots of people out
there with the barcode scanners, cherrypicking the books (i.e., buying
only the ones that show a good return on investment.)  I don't know what
database they're hooking into (maybe abebooks?) however.

Alison