[DWJ] Another question for the brain trust

Thu May 3 11:30:09 EDT 2007

On Thu, 3 May 2007 09:30:47 +0300, Liina wrote:

>> I considered one of those when I was shopping for a barcode reader a few
>> years ago.  The idea was to prevent me from re-buying books I already owned
>> but had forgotten about.
>
>I'm curious: Did it help?

Originally, I kept my list of books I needed on my PalmPilot.  I coordinated
it with the much larger home catalog so that anything on the list was fair
game.  My husband priced out a bunch of bitty portable wand readers either
to access records more quickly than the search function, or to store bar
codes to take home to the catalog.  We never implemented it, so I don't know
if it would have been helpful.  But it turned out I almost never buy
duplicates--generally only if I've bought a book I was missing, and then
don't remember I've bought it and get it again in a week--so I haven't
missed it.

>I've had a slight problem with buying multiple copies, and a book
>catalogue (done manually) did not help at all - I usually found out I
>already had the book when I tried to catalogue the new copy.
>Fortunately I stumbled across Librarything, which can be accessed with
>a mobile phone in the bookstore. So now I can check if I own the book
>already :)

That's probably the best use of LibraryThing I can think of.  But I have
issues with the owner, who has made extravagant claims about how his
software is just like a real library database because it uses MARC coding,
and therefore is a great solution for institutions.  Social networking and
personal data storage, yes--actual library software, not so much.

Melissa Proffitt
(yes, I am a library snob)