[DWJ] Incestuous dogs (was Byron)

Kyra Jucovy klj at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Fri Mar 30 13:14:01 EDT 2007

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007, Ika Willis wrote:

> Kyra asked (re: *Dogsbody*):
>
> Ooh! I just googled 'dogs inbreeding' and got this essay:
>
> http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/inbreeding.htm
>
> on the pros and cons of breeding from siblings or father/daughter or
> mother/son pairs - and they say it *is* very commonly practised ('it
> is a useful way of fixing traits in a breed').
Oh, wow!  That would never have occurred to me.  Thanks for letting me
know!

(I should probably note that I have a bit of an obsession with fictional
incest.  I'm not sure whether I should blame Thomas Mann, Faulkner, or the
uncle who thought it would be a good idea to lend me Nabokov's _Ada_ when
I was twelve because it was "like a science fiction book."  I definitely
don't blame DWJ, though - I don't remember really registering any
implications of sex in books until after I had gone through sex ed in
fifth grade, so whatever happened in _Dogsbody_ flew right over my head
at eight.)

> Love, Ika  (whose love of Nat and Georgia is clearly still not eradicated...)

					---Kyra

---
Polly Whittacker: "Happiness isn't a _thing_.  You can't go out and get it
like a cup of tea.  It's the way you feel about things."
				---Diana Wynne Jones, _Fire and Hemlock_