[DWJ] Gears

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Fri Mar 30 11:45:09 EDT 2007

On Mar 29, 2007, at 7:58 PM, Roslyn wrote:

> Years and years later,  I
> would never drive a manual if I could help it (I can if I want,
> because for
> some reason, it wasn't noted on my licence that I was only licensed to
> drive
> an automatic). I don't think I've ever had to, come to think of it.

I've never been anywhere in the USofA where a driver's license
differentiated between manual and automatic.  I don't think any
state does it.  [Driver's licences are issued by the state you live
in, or by the District of Columbia, if you live there.]

> These laws are pretty rigorously
> applied - if a cop stops you for some reason and discovers you're not
> driving with a plate when you should be, you are fined and/or lose
> points
> (everyone gets a set number of points; you can lose them for all kinds
> of
> traffic infractions. If you lose them all, you lose your licence for a
> while). There are also very strict laws about L and P drivers and
> alcohol:
> when tested, they must have zero alcohol in their blood or they lose
> their
> licence. This is all part of an attempt to cut the horrendous road
> toll,
> which is partly at least due to young (mainly male) hoons with alcohol
> in
> their system.

All the restrictions on drivers [that I'm aware of] in the USofA  are
based on age.  [Or convictions for traffic offenses.  Courts can limit
your driving privileges if you've been naughty -- like only allowing
you to drive to and from work, and things like that.] Most states
restrict alcohol consumption until the age of 21.  In some states,
there is zero tolerance for people under this age.  And so forth.

And licenses issued to people under 18 [which is the age of
majority] can be subject to the parents' consent and so on.
Depends on the state.

There are three kinds of theoretical physicists:
those who understand math and those who
don't.