[DWJ] Author/Illus collab.

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Fri Mar 30 05:42:19 EDT 2007

>Jill said:
>Cynthia Rylant wrote the children's book WHEN I WAS YOUNG IN THE MOUNTAINS.
>The story was based on her own life.  She was born during the 1950s.  The
>artist had never met Cynthia and drew the illustrations from an 1800 aspect.
>Ms. Rylant told me that often the author and illustrator do not collaborate.

Sallyo:
>I agree...
>
>Very rarely. This leads to some - um - interesting reactions when the author
>sees his or her illustrations! ODWJM - I wonder whether DWJ has ever, aside
>from The Game and Frances, been astonished at finding "her" vision on a
>cover?

The four-cover panorama on the Dalemark Quartet when they were re-issued in
the eighties delighted her, but I don't know whether it matched her own
vision.

Even someone as famous as Rosemary Sutcliff was given no choice about who
illustrated her books, and in at least one case did not at all like the
pictures in the text.  She loved C. Walter Hodges' style but did not admire
another of her illustrators, regarding his work as "clever, but so ugly!"

CWH of course wrote his own books as well as illustrating for others.

Minnow