[DWJ] Dogsbody

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Fri Mar 30 05:42:18 EDT 2007

>On Fri, 30 Mar 2007, Ika Willis wrote:
>> I've just finished rereading it (God, it's a miserable book) - DWJ
>> kindly puts in a line to say that 'being brother and sister doesn't
>> matter to dogs the same way it does to humans', the first time Sirius
>> finds out about Bruce and the others, to soothe our feelings in
>> advance of the Patchie situation.

Kyra:
>Sure, but still.  Isn't the father of Patchie's children actually one of
>her brothers?  Leaving aside the emotional issues, that's _got_ to be bad
>for the gene pool.  I mean, I knew that purebred dogs were inbred, but I
>didn't realize that they were even capable of being quite _that_ inbred.

One does rather have to leave aside the emotional issues when it's dogs,
because they don't appear to have close sibling relationships once they
have left their mother and been taken to a new home.  Sibs on meeting in
the park will treat each other as they would any other dog, in my
experience.

In the wild, I think the alpha male of a given pack of dogs will be the
sire of all the pups at any given time, which would mean that incest would
be a canine norm.  Any pup that wasn't genetically ok as a result would
simply not survive.

Minnow