[DWJ] Incestuous dogs (was Byron)

Ika Willis blake at gaudaprime.co.uk
Fri Mar 30 02:07:22 EDT 2007

Kyra asked (re: *Dogsbody*):

(thanks for reassuring me about Awful and the Goon, btw, Kyra!)

> Sure, but still.  Isn't the father of Patchie's children actually one of
> her brothers?  Leaving aside the emotional issues, that's _got_ to be bad
> for the gene pool.

With the caveat that everything I know about sibling incest I learned
from the Nat/Georgia storyline in *Brookside*(1) in the mid/late 90s,
plus various 'odd spots' and problem pages in women's magazines(2)...
I've gathered that the first-generation offspring of a brother/sister
union are no more likely to have problems than the children of an
unrelated couple - the problems only start arising if the 'inbreeding'
goes on over several generations.

Ooh! I just googled 'dogs inbreeding' and got this essay:

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/inbreeding.htm

on the pros and cons of breeding from siblings or father/daughter or
mother/son pairs - and they say it *is* very commonly practised ('it
is a useful way of fixing traits in a breed').

Love, Ika  (whose love of Nat and Georgia is clearly still not eradicated...)

*Brookside: British soap opera, now defunct, I think.

** eg: a few years ago the Spanish government upheld the legality of
the marriage of a brother/sister couple (they were raised apart and
didn't know they were related till after they got together - I think
in this case though the sister was past childbearing age)