[DWJ] Author/Illus collab.

Sally Odgers sodgers at iinet.net.au
Fri Mar 30 01:13:57 EDT 2007

Jill said:
Cynthia Rylant wrote the children's book WHEN I WAS YOUNG IN THE MOUNTAINS.
The story was based on her own life.  She was born during the 1950s.  The
artist had never met Cynthia and drew the illustrations from an 1800 aspect.
Ms. Rylant told me that often the author and illustrator do not collaborate.
-Jill

I agree...

Very rarely. This leads to some - um - interesting reactions when the author
sees his or her illustrations! ODWJM - I wonder whether DWJ has ever, aside
from The Game and Frances, been astonished at finding "her" vision on a
cover?

Sallyo

Take the gold wid the leprechauns' blessin', me dears,

An' give Biddy the kiss she's been wantin' for years,

(Biddy Banshee)