[DWJ] Byron

Kyra Jucovy klj at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Fri Mar 30 00:52:21 EDT 2007

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007, Minnow wrote:

> Amazing stuff, some of that ol' poetry-loike, when you have the key of its
> author's biography.  Though of course Byron spent a lot of time denying
The really bizarre thing for me was the way that my professor went to a
lot of trouble to explain the philosophical bases for sleeping with men
and your sister and to really tie the homesexual and incest stuff into the
poems' themes.  It was really interesting and kind of convincing (he's a
wonderful lecturer).  But I kept on wanting to say, "You know, I don't
think that any of my gay or bisexual friends are actually solipsists, let
alone gay or bisexual primarily because they are solipsists."

> I sometimes wish that the folk who seem so obsessed with making mildly
> salacious films of Austen would turn their attention to Byron instead:
> there's far more material they could use far more legitimately.
Ah, but surely it would be unjust to the historical record to make a
_mildly_ salacious film about Byron.

There must be films about Byron out there.  How could people not make
films about Byron?  He was the first rock star!

> Minnow
						---Kyra

---
Polly Whittacker: "Happiness isn't a _thing_.  You can't go out and get it
like a cup of tea.  It's the way you feel about things."
				---Diana Wynne Jones, _Fire and Hemlock_