[DWJ] long ago thread called Book recommendations

Ika Willis blake at gaudaprime.co.uk
Thu Mar 29 23:38:25 EDT 2007

Minnow wrote:

> >and the head of the department expects it to be taught?
>
> The head of the department very sensibly did not attempt to dictate what
> book by a particular author any tutor elected to teach, nor even which ten
> of the many authors deemed to be important in any given period should be
> taught by any particular tutor.

This is completely off-topic but I couldn't resist it: I'm now
teaching in that very department, on what was probably once the
'Introduction to Criticism' course (now called 'Critical Issues'), and
I don't have a totally free choice of what to teach (I have to teach
something like eight texts, of which at least three have to come from
a list of set texts). Ironically enough, given where this conversation
started out, this means that I have to teach *Frankenstein*.

Love, Ika (there are no Brontes on the set list, AFAIR and FYI).