[DWJ] Byron (was long ago thread called Book recommendations)

Kyra Jucovy klj at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Thu Mar 29 18:27:04 EDT 2007

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007, Minnow wrote:

> (Does anyone else notice that adoring slave-girls are a Theme in Byron's
> Wromantic works almost as much as the sulky hero with good looks and a
> secret sorrow or a guilty secret is?)
>
> Minnow

The thing is, adoring slave-girls are just so much less exciting than your
sister.  Also, having sex with your sister solves many more of the
philosophical problems of solipsism than having sex with your slave-girl.

My Romantic poetry course was _so_ educational!  The day that was devoted
to _Manfred_ and _Cain_ was my favorite day ever; we just spent the entire
period talking about incest and Satan.  It was almost like discussing Yuki
Kaori's _Angel Sanctuary_, only it was actually in a literary course ;-).

						---Kyra

---
Polly Whittacker: "Happiness isn't a _thing_.  You can't go out and get it
like a cup of tea.  It's the way you feel about things."
				---Diana Wynne Jones, _Fire and Hemlock_