[DWJ] Byron (was long ago thread called Book recommendations)

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Thu Mar 29 18:08:57 EDT 2007

>Mark and Otter:
>>
>> > I can tell you more about Diana Wynne Jones than the
>> > Brontes, for that matter.
>>
>> Answer #1:  Literary as they were, I doubt they would have
>> appreciated Diana Wynne Jones.

lizzie:

>Oh, I don't know, I rather think Charlotte at least would have liked
>Diana Wynne Jones.  Look how crazy the juvenalia is--very romantic,
>one might say drivel.

I do *hope* that you aren't suggesting that DWJ would appeal for being
drivel!  :-)

>CB loved Byron and disliked Jane Austen (that
>last might set her apart from most of this list).

I love Byron's wit when he's being snarky about Wordsworth and the Lake
Poets in particular and things in general, in "Don Juan", and in fact when
he is being snarky altogether because he does it almost as well as John
Wilmot Earl of Rochester or Alexander Pope.  I am not certain that was why
Charlotte loved him.  Did she by any chance rave over the first two parts
of "Childe Harold's Pilgrimmage", and "The Corsair", "The Bride of Abydos",
"The Giaour" (about which see Anne to Benwick in *Persuasion*) and maybe
"Lara"?

(Does anyone else notice that adoring slave-girls are a Theme in Byron's
Wromantic works almost as much as the sulky hero with good looks and a
secret sorrow or a guilty secret is?)

I always assumed that the dislike of Jane Austen was because JA's work was
*quite different* from Emily Bronte's, and was witty and popular and
acknowledged, and therefore stole some thunder from the beloved sister.
The extremeness of the attack on Austen always smacked to me of an attempt
to denigrate something one secretly knows to be good, rather than an
expression of personal taste, as it were.  Well, maybe she didn't like Jane
Austen having poked fun at Byron, either, or at the Gothic Novel in
general.

Minnow