[DWJ] Re: Lurkers on the List

Laurel Lamme lalamme at gru.net
Thu Mar 29 17:29:08 EDT 2007

Colin Fine wrote:

> Ah. When I first came to Bradford, 15 years ago, my brother lent me
> his car for the first few months. When he delivered it to me the day I
> was coming up here, he apologetically explained that it seemed to have
> lost first gear. By the time I arrived, it had lost second as well.
> Imagine arriving in an unfamiliar and *hilly* city with no gear
> wimpier than third ....
>
> Colin

Last summer I took a job driving a manual-transmission car (and two
cats) across the US from Seattle to Florida, having never driven manual
before, but rather foolishly confident that I could pick it up somehow.
Arriving in Seattle with one lesson in shifting to my name, I was set
free for a couple of days to figure the car out before I picked up my
feline passengers (less nervewracking for everyone, I assure you.)  All
I can say is that I am very impressed with the courtesy of Seattle
drivers - despite stalling at lights several times, going backwards
inadvertently, and often creeping along at what was probably an
inappropriate speed, I was only honked at once.  And I did manage to get
to Florida with no accidents.

Laurel