[DWJ] Gears (was Re: Lurkers on the List)

Anna Zofia Skarzynska ania.s at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Mar 29 16:22:27 EDT 2007

It didn't even occur to me to try learning to drive in an automatic. Maybe
learning to drive a manual is harder, but then you can drive anything; I
gather from the comments made that if you are an automatic driver and need
or want to drive a manual for some reason, it involves a whole lot of
relearning.

Again, maybe this is not the case with ultra-modern cars (which I would
never be able to afford to buy, now or probably ever), but I have been told
that automatics really guzzle petrol in hilly areas. I live in Wales, which
is hilly- very hilly- and the roads are narrow and wiggly, so a manual is a
better bet for me. The lurching goes away pretty quickly. I don't have to
think about changing gears and all that, it has become, well, automatic. I
also agree with the point someone made about better control/more active
involvement in the driving you get with manuals.

I suppose if you live somewhere flattish with lots of big roads and long
distances then an automatic makes sense. I still don't think I'd ever
contemplate buying one, even if I lived in such a place. As it is, I'm
rarely in the car for longer than 15-20 minutes at a time.

Older cars and especially lorries used to have double declutching- you had
to depress the clutch to get the car out of gear, let it up, then depress it
again to put it in the next gear. Fun fun fun.

Ania, definitely a fan of manual transmission.