[DWJ] Grannys (NOW WITH SPOILERS FOR THE GAME)

J.E. Powers jepowers70 at verizon.net
Thu Mar 29 15:55:25 EDT 2007

this is something children's writers can fall prey to - there's a
Babette Cole picture-book with a character who's a young single mother
in the 90s being thrown out of school for getting pregnant in what
looks to me like the 50s

Cynthia Rylant wrote the children's book WHEN I WAS YOUNG IN THE MOUNTAINS.  The story was based on her own life.  She was born during the 1950s.  The artist had never met Cynthia and drew the illustrations from an 1800 aspect.  Ms. Rylant told me that often the author and illustrator do not collaborate.
-Jill