[DWJ] The Game

Kyla Mackay-Smith kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Thu Mar 29 15:42:23 EDT 2007

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007, Minnow wrote:

> Otter left a lovely great spoiler space
>
> >..
> >Is this enough space?
> >..
>

> Does it occur to anyone else that DWJ is being anti-Establishment again?
> As in *Eight Days of Luke*, the Top Gods are not presented as being
> particularly efficient or worthy of worship in this story -- well, all
> right, Jupiter is a complete toad -- and rebelling against them is
> definitely the way to go.  :-)

But...but...come on, is there anyone who reads Greek or Roman myths and
doesn't come away with the impression that Zeus/Jupiter is a self-centered
lecherous bully? I have more liking for Hera, attacking Heracles right and
left, than I have for Zeus.

Getting back to the point, though--People Being in Charge is not
neccessarily a bad thing in DWJ books--see Chrestomanci. But people there
are punished when they've actually done bad things, rules make sense, the
Head Guy is more like leader of a team. Et cetera.

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007, Susanna Victoria wrote:

> Along those lines, I was also confused at the beginning about what age
> Hayley was...with good reason as it turned out.  She seemed like she was
> about 13, but when it turns out that she's so much smaller than the
> cousins, even Tollie, who seems about 7 years old, I began to wonder
> what DWJ was up to.  Should have known she was doing it on purpose.

Ever since Hexwood, I've noticed that DWJ rarely mentions people's actual
ages, and that if something seems odd about what your guesses are, that's
probably right. :^)