[DWJ] long ago thread called Book recommendations

Mark Allums mark at allums.com
Thu Mar 29 14:50:11 EDT 2007

Minnow wrote:  A lot of good stuff.

Mark A. replies:

I really ought to know better than to try baiting people who are smarter
than me.  Here in the United states, there is tremendous variety in the
way things are taught.  However, not that many schools teach in the way
you describe.  I would consider myself lucky to be in a system like
yours.  My professor really did tell me (and others) that _Wuthering
Heights_ is a favorite of college English teachers, for the reasons
given, and I believed him.  Still do.  However, he may have missed
knowing the futility of it.  To this day, I cannot remember much about
the book, even though I dutifully read it.  Something about it being the
classic example of a Gothic novel, and had a character named Heathcliff.
   It just wasn't memorable to me.  A better choice of book (perhaps
Frankenstein) might have stayed with me.  Or perhaps it's me.  I was not
an English major; I "read" computer science.  I can tell you a lot more
about a binary tree than any of the Brontes.  I can tell you more about
Diana Wynne Jones than the Brontes, for that matter.

--Mark A.