[DWJ] ADMINISTRIVIA: list information

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Thu Mar 29 14:23:26 EDT 2007

>On Thu, 29 Mar 2007, Minnow wrote:
>|One of the things I find interesting about this is that when one posts here
>|one has *no idea* how many people one is addressing.  Deborah presumably
>|knows, but the rest of us don't, how many people are members of the list;
>|none of us knows whether those list-members are reading, on a six-month
>|trek across the antarctic, or what...

and deborah immediately came to the recue:

>176 subscribed members.  Any list member can see some basic info
>about the list (or change his or her own subscription options) at
><http://www.suberic.net/mailman/listinfo/dwj>.  If you forget
>your auto-generated password (goodness knows I had), there's a
>place at the bottom of that page where you can enter the email
>address subscribed to the list and have that password emailed to
>you.

Coo!  Thanks!  (not that we can tell how many of those 176 are on a trek to
the South Pole or whatever, but it's definitely interesting to know how
many we are.  We few, we band of brothers, or whatever that quotation ought
to be.)

>There's a certain amount of turnover all the time, but over all
>the list has grown very slowly since its inception.  Certainly it
>hasn't grown at the pace of either increasing internet use in
>general, or at the pace of increased DWJ fandom post-Howl movie
>and post-HP books. Sometimes that makes me sad, but on the other
>hand, it means I can keep up with it.  I don't know what I'd do
>if we were as populous as a list like childlit.

Imagine if you were on a list that size and using a 56k modem tied to a
telephone line via BT and a slightly duff exchange!

Minnow