[DWJ] Re: Lurkers on the List

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Thu Mar 29 12:57:25 EDT 2007

Melissa appeared to admit to a minor imperfection in her yoof

>I learned to drive a stick at the same time as an automatic, but somehow
>everyone neglected to tell me that you have to downshift when you come to a
>stop.  I never did understand why my car always stalled at the same light
>three blocks from the high school.  I thought I was cursed.

I first learnt to drive on a car that only had second gear *sometimes*.
Other times, it simply ignored the whole sordid idea of changing up from
first to second, and went straight to one of the other two gears, third if
I was lucky; in real crises like hill-starts it stayed in neutral.

The up side of this was that I got really good at deploying the hand-brake.

It wasn't just me: everyone who drove that car agreed that it didn't
approve of second gear and thought it was for wimps.

Minnow