[DWJ] Lurkers on the List

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Thu Mar 29 12:57:25 EDT 2007

Kith emerged:

>Hello!

Hi!

>I think it also might be akin to the difference between small and
>large classes (well, I have to make that comparison-- I'm a bloody
>college student!): even if you're really interested in the subject,
>you aren't going to make as many comments or ask as many questions in
>a large class as a small one. It may be practicality or just human
>nature; I couldn't say which. In groups like this in particular, the
>size of the "class" may be more relative from person to person, which
>probably corresponds to level of lurking. A lot of it is also
>familiarity with other people on the list: if you feel close to them,
>you'll post more; but you need to post more in order to become
>familiar with them. Deadly circle kind of thing.

One of the things I find interesting about this is that when one posts here
one has *no idea* how many people one is addressing.  Deborah presumably
knows, but the rest of us don't, how many people are members of the list;
none of us knows whether those list-members are reading, on a six-month
trek across the antarctic, or what...

There are lists that have a set number of members, but even then one can't
know how many of the three or five or eight hundred members are paying
attention!  Seventy or so people (excluding spammers) have posted here this
year, I think; but there might be ten times that number lurking and we'd
never know.

>Anyway! Nice to meet you all; and now, back to my geometry homework.

Somehow geometry always seemed to be to be the *spikiest* bit of maths.

>Kith

I really like your name.  Knowledge and friendship in four letters!  Brilliant.

>By the way, does it bother anyone that I occasionally post from two
>different mail accounts? I've got it set up so that I can choose
>between them, but I often forget.

So long as the list server or whatever recognises both, I can't see why it
would be a problem?

Minnow