[DWJ] RE: Cars (was: Lurkers on the List)

Thu Mar 29 12:36:42 EDT 2007

My personal experience was learning to drive an automatic first.  It was
easier to learn things like parking, etc. without having to also do the
feet/hand coordination.  I learned a stick shift about 5-6 years later
and drove stick shift cars until my latest vehicle (about 25 years of
driving.)  Reason - arthritis and city driving.  A standard shift is no
fun in rush hour or city traffic and I burned through 3 clutches on my
last standard car.  And my knees wouldn't take the shifting any more.  I
don't think the standard shifters mean it, but things like "it's the
only way to drive" etc. really raise my hackles.  I'm glad you can do
it, and I've done it, and I'm very glad to have an automatic now.

Alison