[DWJ] Grannys (NOW WITH SPOILERS FOR THE GAME)

Ika Willis blake at gaudaprime.co.uk
Thu Mar 29 04:31:27 EDT 2007

JOdel, then Paul Andinach:

> > Actually what I've noticed is that where Grandmothers were usually
> > either good or comically bad in DWJs early books (F&H and TotG both
> > have "rescuer" Grans), her collection seems to have recently worked
> > up to some really nasty ones.
>
> Perhaps it's just the passage of time. If she'd gotten around to
> writing about them when she was younger, they'd have been nasty
> mothers or aunts; but now the world is older and they're grandmothers
> instead.

Hee! Which reminds me that

at the beginning of *The Game* I was a bit sadly thinking 'Oh dear,
DWJ has muddled up her generations and put in a grandmother who would
have been old-fashioned in the 70s, or even the 50s',* but! It turned
out there was a good reason for this. Hoorah.

Love, Ika

*this is something children's writers can fall prey to - there's a
Babette Cole picture-book with a character who's a young single mother
in the 90s being thrown out of school for getting pregnant in what
looks to me like the 50s