[DWJ] Re: Lurkers on the List

Elizabeth G. Holtrop elizabeth at bouma-holtrop.com
Wed Mar 28 20:26:40 EDT 2007

Anna Zofia Skarzynska <ania.s at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:>In the UK an automatic licence does not entitle you to driving a car with -
>what did you just call it- stick shift (aka proper gears!). But most people
>just do the proper one in the first place. Comparatively few automatics
>here. They are well weird to drive- I once had to hire a car in a hurry and
>an automatic was the only one available. I'd never choose to buy one.

>I didn't learn to drive until I was 30, myself.

Well, that's my other comfort about the pain of learning on a stick shift (proper gears?).  Chances are I'll end up living in Europe or the Middle East for some time, and if I want to drive overseas I've heard I'm pretty much going to have to learn to change gears while I drive.  So forth I go...lurching all the way.

EGH