[DWJ] Lurkers on the List

Kithwynn zebraspotz at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 14:40:54 EDT 2007

Hello!

I'm still rather new as a whole, so I guess it hasn't yet been
determined whether or not I'm going to be lurking. At the moment, I'm
avoiding the list section of my account because I have no particular
plans to get The Game before May. (Appreciate the spoiler warnings,
everyone! Thanks!)

I often find with some surprise that I've been lurking at someone or
another's blog simply because, while I'm reading it and interested in
the posts, I haven't actually said anything for months on end. This is
opposed to close friends I know from real life, where I feel like I'm
neglecting them if I don't try to have a "conversation."

I think it also might be akin to the difference between small and
large classes (well, I have to make that comparison-- I'm a bloody
college student!): even if you're really interested in the subject,
you aren't going to make as many comments or ask as many questions in
a large class as a small one. It may be practicality or just human
nature; I couldn't say which. In groups like this in particular, the
size of the "class" may be more relative from person to person, which
probably corresponds to level of lurking. A lot of it is also
familiarity with other people on the list: if you feel close to them,
you'll post more; but you need to post more in order to become
familiar with them. Deadly circle kind of thing.

Anyway! Nice to meet you all; and now, back to my geometry homework.

Kith

By the way, does it bother anyone that I occasionally post from two
different mail accounts? I've got it set up so that I can choose
between them, but I often forget.