[DWJ] Re: Lurkers on the List

Wed Mar 28 13:39:07 EDT 2007

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 13:10:19 EDT, HSchinske at aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated 3/28/2007 6:50:34 A.M. Pacific Daylight  Time, Elizabeth
>G. Holtrop, a lurker, or is it lurcher, writes:
>
>I wish  we had those plates here in the US.  I'm learning to drive, on stick
>shift no less (seems like everyone else here has an automatic), and I have no
> way to indicate to other drivers that I'm trying my best but they're going
>to  have to be patient with my lurching.  Moreover, in my small town it's
>unusual for someone not to get their license at the "correct" age of 16, so
>lurching at 21 is really seen as socially Not  Done.
>

>Don't worry, Elizabeth, I was a lurcher (aren't they large friendly dogs?
>pant, pant, slobber, grin) at an even greater age than you -- lessee, I think I
>was 27. I could drive all right, and had even learned on a stick shift, but
>had  never had a car of my own before and really hadn't driven much. I thought
>the  little blue light that came on when my headlights were on was something
>nice and  helpful ... alas, I was going around with the high beams on all the
>time! Oops.  Fortunately I didn't cause any crashes. I eventually did get so I
>could start on  a hill, parallel park, all that stuff I thought I was
>genetically incapable of  somehow.

I learned to drive a stick at the same time as an automatic, but somehow
everyone neglected to tell me that you have to downshift when you come to a
stop.  I never did understand why my car always stalled at the same light
three blocks from the high school.  I thought I was cursed.

Melissa Proffitt
(whose other car was an 11-passenger Ford van, oh yes, but instead of going
around the country preaching I was usually trying not to make exceptionally
wide turns)