[DWJ] Re: Lurkers on the List

HSchinske at aol.com HSchinske at aol.com
Wed Mar 28 13:10:19 EDT 2007

In a message dated 3/28/2007 6:50:34 A.M. Pacific Daylight  Time, Elizabeth
G. Holtrop, a lurker, or is it lurcher, writes:

I wish  we had those plates here in the US.  I'm learning to drive, on stick
shift no less (seems like everyone else here has an automatic), and I have no
 way to indicate to other drivers that I'm trying my best but they're going
to  have to be patient with my lurching.  Moreover, in my small town it's
unusual for someone not to get their license at the "correct" age of 16, so
lurching at 21 is really seen as socially Not  Done.

Don't worry, Elizabeth, I was a lurcher (aren't they large friendly dogs?
pant, pant, slobber, grin) at an even greater age than you -- lessee, I think I
was 27. I could drive all right, and had even learned on a stick shift, but
had  never had a car of my own before and really hadn't driven much. I thought
the  little blue light that came on when my headlights were on was something
nice and  helpful ... alas, I was going around with the high beams on all the
time! Oops.  Fortunately I didn't cause any crashes. I eventually did get so I
could start on  a hill, parallel park, all that stuff I thought I was
genetically incapable of  somehow.

Helen Schinske