[DWJ] Lurkers on the List

Elizabeth G. Holtrop elizabeth at bouma-holtrop.com
Wed Mar 28 09:33:05 EDT 2007

Minnow <minnow at belfry.org.uk> wrote:>I've always slightly wondered whether there ought to be some way for >people
>on lists to indicate that they're new to posting even if they have been
>reading a list for ages.  Learner drivers display an L-plate so the
>experienced road-hogs can cut them a bit of slack and not carve them >up too
>viciously, and these days new drivers seem to display a green P-plate to
>indicate "yes, I have passed my test but I'm still a bit nervous, please
>don't hoot at me if I stall the car".

I wish we had those plates here in the US.  I'm learning to drive, on stick shift no less (seems like everyone else here has an automatic), and I have no way to indicate to other drivers that I'm trying my best but they're going to have to be patient with my lurching.  Moreover, in my small town it's unusual for someone not to get their license at the "correct" age of 16, so lurching at 21 is really seen as socially Not Done.

ODWJM: It's been too long since I read Deep Secret; was Maree a phenominally bad driver, or was her car to blame for the frequent stops and the witchy dance?

EGH