[DWJ] Lurkers on the List

Kyla Mackay-Smith kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Wed Mar 28 08:49:07 EDT 2007

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007, Minnow wrote:

> and these days new drivers seem to display a green P-plate to
> indicate "yes, I have passed my test but I'm still a bit nervous, please
> don't hoot at me if I stall the car".

Wow, I wish we had something like that in the US! (or in my state, or
whatever) I was an experienced driver on an automatic, but I learned how
to drive stick shift two and a half years ago when I moved in with my
now-husband, whose manual car it was. It was terrifying when I was stuck
at intersections with a slight hill, stalling over and over. Then a friend
told me to put my hazard lights on, which helped a great deal.

But I agree that it's probably not necessary for new posters--I notice
when I don't recognize names, so I figure someone's new.

Back to cars: now this reminds me of Tom Lynn driving his little yellow
car about, lurching madly. :^)