[DWJ] Lurkers on the List

liril at gmx.net liril at gmx.net
Wed Mar 28 07:52:17 EDT 2007

Hello to everybody from a part-time lurker :-)

Whilst I understand the idea of "NP-signs", to me that would feel like a bit like a "probation period" (that's what we have in Germany when you get your driving license). As if you had to prove "worthy" of posting like the regulars. Which - I think - you don't :-)

And as this list is a very friendly place, there isn't much "carving up viciously" going on, anyway (you can tell I'm quite taken with the car metaphor).

What you can do, as a newbie or, as non native speaker, is put up a disclaimer if you feel it's needed. Personally, I write from time to time "English is not my native language, so if this or that is unclear or sounds a bit odd, go easy on me". However, I would not like to write "NNS" in every mail ;-)

And, on the general subject of piping up from time to time: Every comment makes this list come alive. And whilst we all enjoy literary discussions, I fondly remember discussing foods of all sorts. And somebody writing LoCC was a favorite because it makes - er? - headaches? go away (I don't quite recall it). Or collecting lists of the funniest DWJ scenes, or the saddest.

So, have some virtual cucumber sandwiches and join the fun whenever you feel like it.

Bettina

-------- Original-Nachricht --------