[DWJ] Baba Yaga

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Wed Mar 28 06:26:24 EDT 2007

>On Tue, 27 Mar 2007, Minnow wrote:

>|Avoiding spoilerage, wouldn't one be slightly surprised if she were acting
>|as a maid-of-all-work who was kind to her young charge, and subsequently
>|(after having been given the sack) turned up to rescue her and her family
>|from Terrible Fates?  It would seem just a tad out of her usual character.
>
>Yes, that did surprise me, rather.  I kept waiting for her agenda
>to kick in.  She went far more out of her way than I'd expect for
>Baba Yaga.  I assume in the Backstory Not Supplied in the Novella
>that Jolyon did something that ticked her off.
>
>-deborah
>
>One of the features if the mythosphere seems to be that myths gradually
>modify as one travels along the strands, so perhaps it wasn't Baba Yaga
>herself Jolyon  angered but her Greek version. Medusa was slain by a son
>of Zeus, but there must be plenty of other examples.
>
>Jon

Maybe at some point he stood on one of her cabin's feet and didn't say "sorry".

Let's face it, dear Jolyon is not one to worry about anybody's feelings;
he'd annoy anyone he had anything to do with.  Tyrants tend to.  He's a
classic example of absolute power corrupting absolutely, or at least of
thinking one has absolute power having that effect, and thank goodness it
turns out that he doesn't quite have it.

Minnow