[DWJ] Baba Yaga (was The Game)

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 27 17:06:42 EDT 2007

----- Original Message ----
From: "deborah.dwj at suberic.net" <deborah.dwj at suberic.net>
To: Diana Wynne Jones discussion <dwj at suberic.net>
Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2007 6:58:20 AM
Subject: Re: [DWJ] Baba Yaga (was The Game)

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007, Minnow wrote:

|Avoiding spoilerage, wouldn't one be slightly surprised if she were acting
|as a maid-of-all-work who was kind to her young charge, and subsequently
|(after having been given the sack) turned up to rescue her and her family
|from Terrible Fates?  It would seem just a tad out of her usual character.

Yes, that did surprise me, rather.  I kept waiting for her agenda
to kick in.  She went far more out of her way than I'd expect for
Baba Yaga.  I assume in the Backstory Not Supplied in the Novella
that Jolyon did something that ticked her off.

-deborah

One of the features if the mythosphere seems to be that myths gradually modify as one travels along the strands, so perhaps it wasn't Baba Yaga herself Jolyon  angered but her Greek version. Medusa was slain by a son of Zeus, but there must be plenty of other examples.

Jon