[DWJ] Baba Yaga (was The Game)

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Tue Mar 27 16:53:24 EDT 2007

>Not hugely spoliery:
>
>On Tue, 27 Mar 2007, Minnow wrote:
>|BY is
>|usually presented as a Bad Thing, so putting her in as a helpful ally is
>|reversing expectations.

Deborah remarked:

>I've never read Baba Yaga as a villain.  More of a  complicated
>and extremely powerful figure who does not always share the same
>motivations and moralities as we lesser mortals. I think of
>stories like Vasilisa the Beautiful -- Baba Yaga is terrifying
>and not benevolent, but she is far more dangerous to evildoers
>than she is to the good and brave.

Somebody can be a Bad Thing without being a villain, though.  As far as I
remember, Baba Yaga doesn't tend to go looking for trouble, nor does she
have an Agenda; she just makes a habit of fatally resenting being
disturbed.  I can sympathise: there are times when I look at people who
have come to the door trying to sell me some hard luck story and feel
inclined to bite them.  :-)

"Extremely powerful, not sharing mortal motivations or moralities,
terrifying, not benevolent, dangerous..."  (More dangerous to evildoers
than to the good doesn't mean she isn't dangerous to the good as well!)

I'd rather not have her intervening in *my* story, on the whole.  If that
chook-foot house came stomping down the road towards me, I think I would
hide in the ditch.

Avoiding spoilerage, wouldn't one be slightly surprised if she were acting
as a maid-of-all-work who was kind to her young charge, and subsequently
(after having been given the sack) turned up to rescue her and her family
from Terrible Fates?  It would seem just a tad out of her usual character.

Minnow