[DWJ] The Game

Sally Odgers sodgers at iinet.net.au
Tue Mar 27 10:03:11 EDT 2007

Quoting myself and others...

Sallyo:
>> Anyone else note the chook-foot cottage of Martya's and think DWJ had
>> been watching a certain film and was having a joke?

Otter:
>>The house of Baba Yar [or Yaga]  always walks around on the legs and
>>feet of a chicken.

Sallyo:
>I know that, but in the film of Howl, the Castle has chook feet. It seems
>me that DWJ borrowed the concept from the film that borrowed it from
>Russian
>tales AND from her own book.

That wouldn't explain Martya/Baba Yaga, who doesn't appear in the film.  I
think DWJ took her straight from the Russian legend, and her house too.  I
didn't notice any chook-feet in the book *Howl's Moving Castle*?

I add -
Exactly my point. I reckon Diana saw the chook feet in the film, and
perversely or otherwise decided to use them herself in The Game. That may
explain why Martya is in the story at all... Diana wanted to use those feet.
They never were in the HMC book, but someone else inserted them in the HMC
film. DWJ saw them and decided she WOULD use them in a book. Then, knowing
her myths, she was forced to bring Baba Yaga in as well. (Though I didn't
see any evidence of a pestle....)

Sallyo.

Bring the Scion O'Flynn, drink a toast to the curse.

Sure wid glasses o' Guinness be fillin' him first!

 (Biddy Banshee)