[DWJ] The Game

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Tue Mar 27 07:33:56 EDT 2007

Sallyo:
>> Anyone else note the chook-foot cottage of Martya's and think DWJ had
>> been watching a certain film and was having a joke?

Otter:
>>The house of Baba Yar [or Yaga]  always walks around on the legs and
>>feet of a chicken.

Sallyo:
>I know that, but in the film of Howl, the Castle has chook feet. It seems to
>me that DWJ borrowed the concept from the film that borrowed it from Russian
>tales AND from her own book.

That wouldn't explain Martya/Baba Yaga, who doesn't appear in the film.  I
think DWJ took her straight from the Russian legend, and her house too.  I
didn't notice any chook-feet in the book *Howl's Moving Castle*?

I did love Baba Yaga's surprise when Hayley hugged her goodbye, "as if
nobody else had ever wanted to hug her".  She isn't generally depicted as
benign in the Russian folk-tales, not that *anybody* is generally benign in
the Russian folk-tales.

I'm not sure she's helping because it's some deep-laid plot, actually; I
think she's helping because she has some confused idea that Hayley was
responsible for her getting the pink shoes with cowboy fringes.   :-)  It
can't be because Hayley is glad to see her in the Maenad scene: she is
already there to be helpful, at that point.  (Hmmm: Hayley throws her arms
round her then as well, so the hug at the end isn't the first one, and
shouldn't be entirely surprising.  That's another inconsistancy like the
has-he-told thing with Tollie.)

Minnow